Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Freezer Breakfast Burritos

Every time I go home I get my mom to make breakfast burritos.  The way she makes them are bomb!  And she's laughing as she reads this because she doesn't follow a recipe or make them the same every time.  She's just mom that's why!

When I came across the idea to make a batch of breakfast burritos and freeze them I was definitely inspired to give it a try. 

You can find the original post here.

This recipe makes about 36 burritos, mine only 15.  I didn't want to go overboard on the burrito making if I ended up not liking them. 

My recipe:

10 eggs - beaten
1 package of maple sausage
1/2 red bell pepper (or green, or yellow - which ever you prefer)
1 small onion
2 cups hash browns - optional (I didn't actually measure this, I am guessing that is how much I dumped)
15 burrito/fajita size tortillas (next time I will buy the Costco kind - love them!)
shredded jack cheese
2 gallon size freezer bags
plastic wrap

Directions:

I cooked the sausage in a separate skillet because it was frozen but next time I will use the same skillet (less mess).  So cook the sausage and set aside on a plate lined with paper towels. 

Next, cook the onion and pepper until the onion is clear and the pepper is still a little crisp.  Dump in those hash browns! (optional but let me add it's a cheap filler)

Mix in the sausage and eggs (I seasoned the eggs before putting them into the mixture).  Cook until eggs are completely cooked.  Mr. H is always worried the eggs aren't completely cooked but guess what? If they didn't cook all the way they will get cooked in the microwave when you reheat them. (shh don't tell Mr. H)

Now your ready to make a burrito - or 15. In small batches (5-7) heat tortillas in the microwave to soften.  in each tortilla place a heaping 1/4 cup of mixture. 


Some tortillas will take more, some less. Sprinkle on some cheese.  Tuck and roll. 


Wrap each burrito in plastic wrap and place in a gallon size freezer bag. 







No comments:

Post a Comment